Wednesday 17 October 2012

Review: Geek Chic Crochet

After seeing this book mentioned in Mollie Makes, I pre-ordered straight away on Amazon, so I was lucky enough for Geek Chic Crochet to be posted through my door as soon as it was released!
Nicki Trench has filled this book with 35 really inspiring patterns. Many of the garments would not look out of place in a boutique store; desirable vintage style gaments and accesories.

I'm new to crochet so appreciated the 'Crochet Know How' section at the back of the book to refresh my memory of stitches and techniques.
Each pattern has a skill level: Beginner, Improver or Experianced, so I can gradually work my way towards some of the more challenging patterns.

The first project - which is my first ever crochet garment/accesory - I decided to attempt from the book was the 'Turban Headband'. I had some DK yarn and the right size hook next to me, so it seemed a shame not to give the pattern a try...
The pattern states "A really quick and easy project" im always very sceptical of these statements, as generally im not quick at finishing anything! I'm not sure if thats my slow hook skills, short attention span, or ability to start multiple projects in the space of one hour. However...This really was quick!!
I crocheted and finished (the part I hate with knitting, but found finishing crochet very intuative and neat) this headband in less than 2 hours whilst watching the X-Factor an a Saturday night.

I excitiedly tried on my first crochet accessory as soon as it was finished, at around 10pm at night!
I am very pleased with the outcome, im looking forward to sporting this on a cold day to keep my ears toasty.
The yarn isnt anything fancy, it is a ball of Top Value acrylic from my local market for £1.15 a ball. Using this pattern though it crochets up to something which looks alot more expensive.
Im already planning to use the remaining yarn with the same stitch to crochet 2 matching rectangles, so I can sew them up to be quick matching fingerless gloves.

I found this book easy to follow and full of patterns that were cleary explained. Best part is I liked all 35 patterns in the book!
My next project...
'Chunky Patchwork Scarf' to brighten up my dull black winter coat and keep my stylishly toasty.

Thank you xx

Geek Chic Crocket - Nicki Trench
Details:
  • Paperback: 128 pages
  • Publisher: CICO Books (1 Oct 2012)
  • ISBN-13: 978-1908170873
  • 2 comments:

    1. Thanks for reviewing this. I wish Amazon had a look inside feature for it. I love your profile. A professional starter. That's me too. Anyway...your headband looks cute on you and I hope you were able to "finsh" some other things in this book. Laurie PS...I'm trying to do a Doris Chan sweater...I think I'm not liking her instructions at all ...Might need to give this book a try instead.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much for your comment Laurie Lou.
        I haven't manage to finish anything else from this book, the issues of Inside Crochet that have been popping through my door keep distracting me.

        I haven't heard of Doris Chan before, but a quick google and i really love some of the designs i have seen.

        I would recommend this book, there are some lovely patterns.
        The Crochet Workshop by Erika Knight is a very good refernce book for stitches too. The book people have a good offer on this book: http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=285275&searchTerm=crochet

        Good luck with your projects!

        Delete